Monday, January 12, 2009

In the Kitchen with Esperanza

So the young ladies are coming over to the house for breakfast tomorrow. Lauren, Clarissa, and a friend of theirs named Ryan. A girl named Ryan. A girl.

This is, of course, none of my business. This is Abigail's house. If she wants three college girls running around, it is her call. Abigail told me she will expect the girls to keep dirty dishes out of their rooms, and to clean up any messes they make in the kitchen. Of course she expects this. But expectations are one thing. Reality is another.

But it's none of my business.

They are coming to discuss the arrangements. Lauren tells me it's not a done deal. Abigail would like me to join them so that we can talk openly about the bathrooms, the garages, the laundry room and the kitchen but I will wait until they have finished eating and I clear the table. I will not be able to discuss any arrangements with plates on the table.

We shall see. I've never had to share this kitchen with anyone. Not even with Abigail.

I am serving waffles. But these are not those sugary concoctions that have no heart and soul. These are waffles with purpose:

Esperanza's Good for You Waffles
1/3 cup wheat germ
2/3 cup flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp soda
2 Tbls sugar
dash salt
1/4 cup oil
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk - you already know I don't measure anything. I am just estimating here.

Mix everything well. Make sure your iron is oiled well and hot when you pour the batter. Serve with sliced strawberries, blueberries and honey butter. A little whipped cream is nice. This is enough for about three people.

2 comments:

J-ME said...

Oh, these sound so yummy!!!

Susan Meissner said...

J-ME
They sound yummy because they are! And they are good for you. Arturo eats his with peanut butter and honey.

Esperanza